Most states require a student to study state history. If you are looking for an easy do-it-yourself way to meet this requirement, you might appreciate this free state history research project from Accelerated Christian Education Ministries.
This 9-page download provides an independent study guide to help a student research his state, culminating in a notebook containing the results of his independent research.
The following is a brief list of topics/assignments covered:
- Mapping the state, bordering states, and bordering bodies of water on a U.S. map.
- Drawing a map of the state that includes major cities, bodies of water, and other geographic formations.
- Illustrating the state symbols.
- A report that includes:
- Physical geography, climate, and resources.
- Early explorations and inhabitants.
- Newspaper clippings of major events.
- Summary and observations.
- Bibliography (example provided).
A United States map for labeling is included in the download, along with a grading form for those interested.
Notebooking and research are valuable tools when it comes to self-education. Here is a great way to practice them!
We’ve added this resource to our free state unit studies. Another great tool in the toolbox!