The Century Book for Young Americans by Elbridge S. Brooks is an excellent introduction to the United States government for students of all ages. Told in story form, the book explores the Constitution, the office of president, Congress, the Supreme Court, and other institutions and symbols.
There are 16 weeks of lessons — enough for a half-year of study, or a full year-long course if you allow two weeks for each chapter.
We will cover one chapter each week, rounding out the studies with additional information, suggestions, reading recommendations, helps for Mom, and notebooking resources. You’ll find links to the lessons listed here as they are added.
Free download options for the text can be found in the introduction.
- Lesson 1: The Government
- Lesson 2: The Constitution
- Lesson 3: The President
- Lesson 4: The Cabinet
- Lesson 5: The Senate
- Lesson 6: The House of Representatives
- Lesson 7: The Supreme Court
- Lesson 8: The State & Defense Departments
- Lesson 9: The Treasury & The Post Office
- Lesson 10: The Departments of Justice, Interior, & Agriculture
- Lesson 11: The Office-Holder