Plate 4: Orchard Oriole
Similar to the Baltimore Oriole, but smaller. You’ll find this member of the blackbird family at the tops of trees singing his sweet song.
The markings of the Orchard Oriole are similar to those of the more brilliant and striking Baltimore Oriole, but its coloring more nearly resembles that of the towhee. Like its cousin, it is arboreal, while the towhee is a ground bird.
The orchard oriole is more shy than the Baltimore oriole and is less well-known. It is, however, very active and restless, — indefatigable in its quest for insects. It has a better reputation than most members of the blackbird family. Major Bendire says that it would be difficult to find a bird that does more good and less harm than the orchard oriole, and that it should be fully protected.Bird Biographies
- Print out the notebooking pages provided below.
- Read the The Orchard Oriole story in Bird Biographies out loud.
- Have a younger student orally narrate what was read. He can then copy a few lines of his narration onto the notebooking pages.
- Older students can read the text, Plate IV: Orchard Oriole, and provide a written narration.
- Sketch the bird. This encourages attention to detail, which will aid in identifying the bird later on. Another option is to use the printables provided below.
- Sketch the nest of the bird, along with the eggs. Note where the nest is usually found.
- Older students can include the taxonomy.
- Learn more about the Orchard Oriole at Cornell.
- On one notebooking page note the facts:
- The Orchard Oriole is covered in The Burgess Bird Book: CHAPTER XIII. More of the Blackbird Family.
30 Narration Ideas
At some point you might appreciate some variety.
The Bird Study sections of our free nature study series: Our Wonderful World:
- Free Nature Studies: Hunting Birds With Eyes & Camera
- Free Nature Studies: Bird Guardians (Owls)
- Free Nature Studies: Landlord to the Birds
Printables & Notebooking Pages
Orchard Oriole Notebooking Pages
Free simple notebooking set.
Bird picture for notebook.
Orchard Oriole Range Map
For notebook from Cornell.
Bird Facts Notebooking Page
One option in a more graphic organizer style that is especially nice for noting the facts and range.