Millet by Percy Moore Turner is part of the Masterpieces in Colour Series. This book featuring the work of Jean François Millet is a favorite.
The background of the artist, the history of the time, and other artists contemporary to Millet are all interwoven with the paintings themselves — helping us clearly see the influences on a particular work. Eight full-color plates are included.
Written at a higher level than we usually see in biographies of this sort, this book can be used by older children or, better yet, as a family read-aloud. The depth of the discussion in helping us analyze the work of the artist is worth the extra effort.
- There are six chapters. Read one chapter each week for a well-rounded six-week study that gives students time to really become acquainted with the artist.
- After each reading ask your child to narrate (repeat back to you in his own words) what was read. Older students can provide a written narration.
- Several comparisons are made in the text (for example, the work of Millet to that of Pieter Brueghel the Elder or Rousseau). Make a compare/contrast page featuring the differences and similarities between these artists. (The book provides great help with this.)
- There are eight works of art included in the book. Choose six to study more closely, one work of art each week. You’ll find helps for studying a work of art below.
- Create a Millet notebook, or add Millet to your artist notebook.
Biography from the National Gallery of Art.
7 Ideas for Picture Study
Ideas for studying a work of art.
8 Ways to Easily Teach Art Appreciation
More ideas for studying a work of art.
Activity: Compare & Contrast
Helps for the suggestion above.
Garden of Praise: Jean-Francois Millet Artist
Biography and several activities aimed at kids from GardenOfPraise.com.
Jean-Francois Millet – The Gleaners
Interactive coloring page that you can print at TheColor.com.
Jean Francois Millet by Estelle M. Hurll
Free public domain work that includes a timeline and a discussion of several of his more famous works.
Poem by Florence Earle Coates.
Unit Studies & Lesson Plans
I Am a Hard Worker
Lesson plan for younger students analyzing Man With the Hoe.
Artist Notebooking Set
Simple pages for drawing or narrating a work of art and documenting the artist and his works.
Millet Notebooking Pages
Simple pages for copywork, narrations, or wrapping up.