When I was little, Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion was a favorite book that rarely left my hands. I loved Harry. In fact, it was one of the first books that I owned and learned to read. Children love reading about a dog they can totally relate to. Ready to introduce your children to Harry? Enjoy a free video reading of Harry the Dirty Dog by Betty White.
Harry is a white dog with black spots who likes everything — everything, that is, except getting a bath! One day when he hears the water running he steals the scrub brush and buries it in the backyard.
Then he runs away. Harry plays in the city and gets dirtier and dirtier until … he becomes a black dog with white spots!
By the time Harry gets tired and runs back home to see his family, they no longer recognize him as their white dog with black spots.
Harry the Dirty Dog is a predictable but fun read to be enjoyed by all ages. Once you’ve enjoyed the video reading you’ll want to check out the other books in the series, because children love Harry the Dirty Dog!
- Before you read and while you read have your child predict what will happen next.
- Have your child narrate the story to you.
- List the various ways that Harry tried to get his family to realize Harry was Harry.
- Draw a picture of Harry before he leaves home, after he comes home, and after his bath.
- Have your child use Drawing and Writing Paper to illustrate something he doesn’t like to do that is good for him.
- Fill out an author notebooking page for Gene Zion.
- Choose an illustration from Harry the Dirty Dog to copy into your notebook.
- The illustrator of Harry the Dirty Dog was Margaret Bloy Graham. If you have a chance read The Storm Book, a Caldecott Honor winner.
Biography at Exodus Books.
Harry the Dirty Dog Activity Guide
From Storyline Online.
Harry the Dirty Dog: Story and Activities
Sequencing and other interactive activities at SMART Exchange.
Harry the Dirty Dog
Make your own Harry the Dirty Dog picture book.
Nutter Butter Puppy Dog
Cute edibles for wrapping up!
Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion
Book for those interested.
Also check out the other books in the Harry the Dirty Dog series by Gene Zion.
Unit Studies & Lesson Plans
Harry and the Dirty Dog
Activity guide from Weston Woods that covers pet care, problem solving, and judgments.
Harry the Dirty Dog Study Buddy
All kinds of activities from ArtsPower National Touring Theatre.
Harry the Dirty Dog
Another theater guide from SangamonAuditorium.org with great activities and some useful printables.
Harry the Dirty Dog Study Guide
Free sample from LearningLinks.com with pre-reading activities and story questions.
Notebooking Pages & Printables
Harry the Dirty Dog Coloring Page
Author Notebooking Pages
For creating an author page on Gene Zion.