The Scripture Alphabet of Animals was written by Harriet Newell Cook and published by the American Tract Society in 1842. The book covers 33 animals found in the Bible — at least one for every letter of the alphabet excepting X, Y, and Z:
I do not find the names of any animals mentioned in the Bible, beginning with X, Y, or Z. If you can find one, I should like to know it. And now I hope that whenever you see the names of any of these animals in your Bible, you will take pleasure in noticing what is said about them, and will remember what I have told you. I have been very happy in talking to you about them.
Animals covered include:
For each animal, reference is made to where in the Bible the animal is found. A brief description is given, including where they are found, what they eat, and their habits.
This book makes a suitable introduction to a variety of animals for young children.
- There are 33 animals. Cover one animal per week if you want to fit the book into a normal school year.
- Create an animal notebook. Ask your child to design a cover for the notebook.
- Read each lesson out loud. Ask for a narration of what was read. What can your child tell you about the animal? What else would he/she like to know about it? (Help your children find answers to their questions.)
- For each animal use Drawing and Writing Paper to copy the appropriate Bible verse.
- Illustrate the page with either a drawing or a copy of the animal. (Illustrations of some animals are included in the PDF version of the book below. We have included links to other options in the resources below.)
- Read online
- EPUB (convert to Kindle)
Links to suitable illustrations of the animals covered (hosted by the Florida Institute for Instructional Technology):