Pattern Shapes is an interactive app from The Math Learning Center that helps K–5 students explore geometry and fractions:
Pattern Shapes is a tool for exploring a variety of mathematical topics introduced in the elementary and middle grades. Students use Pattern Shapes to explore geometry and fractions, create their own designs, or fill in outlines. As they work with shapes, students think about angles, investigate symmetry, and compose and decompose larger shapes.The Math Learning Center
Much like pattern blocks, this online app version provides an interactive way to learn basic math concepts with manipulatives, such as:
- Identify shape attributes.
- Identify a variety of shapes.
- Use a variety of shapes to create given designs.
- Find similar shapes in the environment.
- Identify lines of symmetry.
- Cut a shape into equal parts.
- Find equivalent fractions.
- Identify right, acute, and obtuse angles.
- Sketch angles of a given degree.
- Measure angles with a protractor.
The interactive comes with two free downloads — a 40-page download geared for K–2 and a 73-page download for grades 3–5. These great resources include lesson plans, activities, and pattern block designs. They also pull in literature (such as The Hungry Caterpillar and Snowflake Bentley) to help explain concepts.
The Info Button in the bottom-right corner provides how-to instructions. To become more familiar with the app you may want to start with the series of ten challenges offered in the tutorial.
Favorite similar hands-on option.
Activity: Exploring Shapes
Lots more including suggestions in order of complexity.