Ready for a summer fun activity for the entire family? Build paper boats! Besides being just plain fun, participants can learn a little math, practice their arts and crafts skills, and enjoy races and water fun.
There are a variety of ways to build a paper boat. There are also materials to consider. How long do you want your boat to be able to stay on the water? Better think of a water-resistant material or a waterproofing method.
- Spend some time designing and building your boat. You’ll find helps below.
- You’ll want to decorate your boat to make it unique.
- Your boat will need a name.
- Set a time and day to take the boats to the water for evaluation and races (all lighthearted, of course).
- Celebrate with a paper-boat-themed party wrap-up!
Make Your Own Newspaper Boat
Curious George version from PBS for the younger crowd.
Step-by-step instructions including a little math brush-up.
The Amazing Book of Paper Boats: 18 Boats to Fold and Float by Jerry Roberts
We thoroughly enjoyed the paper plane version. This one looks great, too.
Paper Craft: Ships
Print, fold, voilà! From Canon.
The Captain’s Shirt
An old tale that goes with folding a paper boat (.doc).
Another version of the story.
Grilled Banana Boats
Another fun way to celebrate!