Here are 7 heart-warming Thanksgiving stories by well-known authors—short stories in the public domain, but not abridgements—that the entire family can enjoy as read alouds through the days leading to Thanksgiving Day.
- “Why He Carried the Turkey” by James Baldwin
Charming, simple story about real humility. You may also be interested in the audio version.
- “Captain Christy’s Thanksgiving” by Carolyn Sherwin Bailey
Children come up with an idea to show thanks to the man who risked his life to save them and many others.
- “An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving” by Louisa May Alcott
A Thanksgiving favorite where the children in a family make their own Thanksgiving…or try.
- “Bert’s Thanksgiving” by J. T. Trowbridge
A humble young man wins the approval of a man he believes more needy than himself.
- “Aunt Susanna’s Thanksgiving Dinner” by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Young ladies trying to make their way in the world after their parents’ death try to please a difficult, but loved, aunt.
- “The Night Before Thanksgiving” by Sarah Orne Jewett
An older woman who has served others all of her life now finds herself in need.
- “Two Thanksgiving Day Gentlemen” by O. Henry
In a way that only he can, O. Henry weaves an all-too-common story while furnishing the ending with a twist that sets the point.