Sonora Louise Smart Dodd is credited with originating the idea of honoring fathers in 1909. After listening to a sermon on Mother’s Day, Mrs. Dodd thought it would be nice to have a day to honor her father, who had raised his family as a widower. Mrs. Dodd’s idea took hold, but it was not until 1972 that Father’s Day was finally made an official holiday.
Here are a few ideas to help you make this Father’s Day a special one.
- Make dad breakfast in bed Sunday morning.
- Create a coupon book redeemable for a day of help around the house, meals, hugs and kisses, or everyone pitching in to complete one of dad’s chores.
- Create a custom-made card Father’s Day card. One fun idea is to feature a Father’s Day acrostic.
- Write a heartfelt letter to dad.
- Learn about Dad by interviewing him. Where did he grow up as a child? What did was he interested in when he was little? Stumped for ideas? You’ll find help below.
How to Make Every Day Father’s Day
Eleven every-day ideas for mom.
Printable Father’s Day Coupons
Coupons already created for you that include taking out the trash and cleaning the garage with a couple of blank coupons for those special ideas.
This adorable homemade card keeps giving! Put the chores on the stems of the flowers. Dad picks a flower and receives help with the chores!
Father’s Day Tool Box Gift Card Holder
If you decide to give Dad a gift card, assemble this unique gift card holder!
A Family History Questionnaire
For writing your own or interviewing a family member. Great ideas for getting those important details down.
Annie’s Father’s Day Page
Annie always has lots of activities, crafts and stories to make any holiday special.
Father’s Day Games and Puzzles
From A Kid’s Heart.
Father Bear’s Special Day by Else Holmelund Minarik
Part of the Little Bear series for young readers. A family favorite!
Units & Lesson Plans
Father’s Day Page
History, literature, activities, poems and prayers, activities and gift ideas from Love to Learn Place.
Father’s Day Acrostic Page
Notebooking page that can also be a gift!