If you are taking the natural road through language arts, then you are probably already familiar with the first step on the way: tracing.
Probably your child’s first writing lesson was when you printed his name and he traced it or copied it. Or maybe you started even earlier with one letter instead of a word. This kind of copying is what happens in many lessons for a young child. Later, the copying gives way to writing from dictation. Copying and dictating are the two basic lesson activities in the natural method. Just as the child learned to speak by copying your correct speech, so he learns to write by copying fine writing.
Dr. Ruth Beechick, A Strong Start in Language
Wait until your child can comfortably hold a pencil and is happy scribbling before beginning formal tracing activities. This varies tremendously from child to child. Beginning too early benefits no one.
You’ll also want to begin tracing anew when your child is ready for cursive. Naturally, at that point, you can start further down the list.
Here are several tracing suggestions. You’ll find helpful resources below.
- Trace his name. All children enjoy writing their own name.
- Trace a word. Perhaps a word he encountered or enjoyed from a read aloud, or a new word he learned while reading on his own.
- Trace a phrase. Is there a phrase he loves to repeat? That’s the one!
- Trace a sentence. What is his favorite book at the moment? What is a favorite passage? Pick out a simple sentence from his reading.
- Trace a Bible verse. This works well with memorization.
- Trace inspiring quotations.
Tracing Print Handwriting
Tracing worksheet generator for manuscript that allows you to input your own words/sentences to be traced. Many helpful settings.
Tracing Cursive Handwriting
Same as above in cursive.
Handwriting Worksheet Creator
A wide variety of options, including D’Nealian. The traceables are dotted.
Printable ABC Bible Verses
Already done for you. From Heart of Wisdom.
George Washington’s Rules of Civility
Tracing worksheets from Donna Young. You’ll also find a couple of Proverbs worksheets.